Saturday, October 21, 2006

Thinking ... in the English classes as preparation of a HOMEWORK!


Three minutes in students' heads during an English lesson!

Ana Isabel did this:

**Homework of Abnormality**

"The homework of the last lesson was: We had to think about during three minutes and then in three other minutes we wrote notes about what we had been thinking.
In these three minutes I thought of many things. I thought why I was thinking about anything during three minutes and then I thought about school, about what I will do next week, about my family, the weather, and finally I though that the teacher was little affected by the book she is reading: "Livro do Desassossego" by Fernando Pessoa.
I confess I was surprised with this task for homework. I've never seen a teacher giving students this sort of homework but... ok... I think this is a very original way to make us work"


Bárbara Sofia came to these conclusions:

** 3 Minutes**

"I'm thinking I have to think about something.
I'm thinking I could think about trees, leaves ... but I can't think about that.
I'm thinking why my teacher is laughing.
I'm thinking I could think about my future ... but I can't think about that.
I think I'm thinking about many things I'd like to think about.
I think I haven't thought. Therefore I was thinking."

Manela wrote:

**My boring thoughts in three minutes in the English class**

" I thought I should be able to think about something because in these times when somebody like the teacher of English asks us to think about something during three minutes it's like having nothing to think about. I just looked around and saw my teacher excitedly smiling to my classmates and moving her fingers on her table; she was surely thinking of something unknown."

Daniel imagined this:

** Three minutes of Noise**

"3 minutes of silence, 3 minutes of noise in my head, 3 minutes of noisy thoughts, weird thoughts.
During the 3 minutes the teacher told the students to be thinking quietly, the first thing my head told me was the teacher had gone crazy (as you can well predict, we thought you had gone nuts!) and the words in my head were :'Oh my God! What's this?' and then I started the exercise.
I thought of the green leaves outside the window, of my Autumn work, that I'd be going to the swimming-pool in the evening and I also thought of Counter-Strike and SpWan.
Everybody had started laughing and my reaction was to ask myself what they were laughing about. After a while I thought that I wouldn't be able to remember anything of what I had been thinking of and the 3 minutes were gone ..."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another post about thinking of nothing...or better,thinking without any limits.Your classes seem to be extremely funny,but at the same productive,as students learn better if they are having fun.

Good blog.Keep it running

Cya

***WHO KNOW WHO***

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this activity is great! I'll try to do it with my students.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one was different from every composition I ever made…
Oh Daniel, boys and Counter Strike are like the Belle and the Monster. They don’t match well, but they never get separate…lol

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home